1. No one will walk on the training floor with shoes on.
2. No profane language or disorderly conduct at any time, inside or outside the club.
3. No alcoholic beverages will be allowed in any part of the toe chang.
4. No one who has been drinking or is high will be allowed in the toe chang.
5. Smoking is not allowed in the toe chang.
6. Gum chewing during class is not allowed.
7. Uniforms will be kept clean and in good condition at all times.
8. All jewelry (rings, watches, earrings, etc.) should be removed prior to the start of class.
9. Training apparel will consist of a karate uniform or karate pants and a club t-shirt during summer classes.
10. No one below the rank of 1st Dan will demonstrate or teach lower ranks without prior approval of the head instructor or Dan member.
11. Only students who are paid up on dues will be allowed to test.
12. All instructors regardless of rank will be shown the respect which is due an instructor.
13. Personal cleanliness is reflected in the cleanliness of the toe chang. It is everyone's responsibility to keep the toe chang dirt free and well ventilated.
Class Procedure and Regulations
1. Upon Entering the Toe Chang: Students either in toe balk (training uniform) or street clothes shall bow to the flags and highest ranking belt on the floor. Students do not have to wait for the instructor (or highest ranking student) to acknowledge the bow if he or she is busy.
2. Prior to Class: Students should quietly begin light stretching and warming-up exercises prior to class to prepare the body for the training session. Without proper warm-up exercises, a student could experience needless injury to the muscle tissues of the body.
3. Starting Class:
A. Students will line up according to rank and seniority when the instructor claps his hands. The highest ranking member will be on the right.
B. The instructor will take a position in the front center of the class.
C. The highest ranking member will call the commands:
3-Be Seated/Ahn Jo
4. During Class: Proper respect and discipline shall be maintained at all times.
A. When the head instructor enters the toe chang after class has started, the instructor or highest ranking member should call the class to attention and bow. Then return immediately to training. (When a higher ranking black belt enters, the same respect should be shown.)
B. When a student comes to class late, he should wait on the edge of the training floor until recognized by the instructor, bow, and get permission to join the class.
C. If a student must leave the toe chang for any reason, he should first get permission from the instructor. Check with the head instructor for possible exceptions to this.
D. If a student has to ask a question, he must first ask a senior member for the information. A chain of command should be instituted and not breached for any reason. The head instructor should not be approached directly except by senior members. During large classes, the head instructor does not have time to respond to everyone's questions.
E. While training, one should show esteem and respect to one's instructors, senior members, and opponents. One should not lose prudence, self-control, patience, or composure, even during free sparring. This is a very important part of Tang Soo Do.
F. There should be no moving around unless the instructor has given the command for rest (shu).
G. If you need to adjust your uniform, you should always turn away from the front of class.
5. Seating: While seated on the floor, members should keep a proper posture conducive to good health. Hands should be placed on the knees, back should be straight, and legs should be crossed in front with the feet tucked beneath the thighs.
6. During Practice: Members should observe decorum and orderliness. The toe chang should always be kept clean, in order, and well ventilated.
7. Classroom Dismissal:
A. Students should line up in the same order as when they began class, except that Black Belts now line up to the instructor's left.
B. The highest ranking member with exception to black belt holders will call the following commands for dismissal of class in a loud and firm voice:
2-Bow to Instructor/Kyung Yet
3-Turn to Black Belt Holders/To Ra
4-Bow to Black Belts/Kyung Yet
5-Turn Back to Front/To Ra
6-Be Seated/Ahn Jo
8-Ranking members will then make any announcements necessary before dismissal of class.
C. Leaving the toe chang, students shall turn and bow as they exit.
Members should exercise care to keep their toe balk clean and pressed at all times. Uniforms that get worn and look ragged should be replaced. It is important to always project a positive impression of our art. Your neat appearance is important in this respect. Members should always keep their fingernails and toenails clean and trimmed not only for hygiene but also for safety. Members should respect their own bodies and keep themselves clean. All jewelry should be removed before starting class. Gum chewing is not allowed during class.